Does a whole raw orange, with the skin, fit in a cake? The answer is YES! You don’t have to pre-bake it or boil it, no. This cake is one of my favorites because it smells amazing, has a great color, is soft and juicy and because of the orange it needs less sugar than the regular cake. I’m in the middle of many trials in order to reduce and if possible fully replace sugar with other natural sweet ingredients.. I’ll keep you posted!
- 1 big juicy orange
- 4 eggs
- 200gr. sugar
- 200ml. sunflower oil
- 260gr. sifted flour
- 3tsp. baking powder
- 2tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your over to 180 degrees C and oil either a round baking pan or a 30x20cm one.
- Wash the orange very well and cut the upper and bottom parts. Cut it in 4 and remove seeds if any. Do not remove the skin of the orange, we need it! Cut the 4 pieces further in smaller ones and smash them in the blender until you get nice orange puree.
- Beat in a big bowl the oil and sugar and add the eggs one by one. Continue beating and add the orange puree.
- Add the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Put the mixture in the pan and bake for 40′-45′ until it gets a nice brown color. This cake even though it looks like a normal cake, because of the juices of the orange it’s really soft and melts in your mouth!
- When ready let it rest for 10′, take it out of the round pan (or keep it in the normal one) and…
- You can add 3tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened) in the half of the mixture and have in the end a ‘mixed’ marbled cake!
- Same as mst of the cakes, you can cut the cake in slices and keep in the freezer in food bags. You can enjoy this way fresh delicious cake every day at work or give it to the kids for breakfast at school!