It’s been a while since I made those biscuits. We already ate them with my family during Easter! It is actually the third recipe I made using the dough of the ‘Kalitsounia’ recipe. Adding some lemon juice and the lemon skin for aroma I transformed the original dough into these delicious biscuits. Again, there is so much happiness coming from baking your own food, desserts, biscuits.. you should try it!
You can get the recipe for the basis of the dough here. This is one portion. For 30 biscuits I have used the 1/4 of the dough and added extra the following ingredients:
- skin of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- some extra flour (3-4tbsp.)
- 1 egg, some water and some olive oil for baking
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees C.
- Mix the dough with the lemon skin and lemon juice. You will get then a really soft dough and you will need some extra flour just to make it go off your hands.
- when the dough is ready, cut small pieces and make thin long stings which then knit in long or round shapes.
- Mix in a small bowl the egg, a little water and some olive oil and spread some it on the surface of each biscuit so that they get shinny after baking.
- Bake for 10′-13′ until they get a nice color and..
- You can keep the dough in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- You can find the original Cretan recipe for kalitsounia here .