I was thinking about the source of inspiration for this recipe and I concluded that vivid colors is the reason one more time..! I always keep in mind to combine colorful ingredients. And vegetables are just the place to find colors.. I’m a big fan of vegetables and fish, so here is a more ‘fancy’ version of what someone would call ‘fish and chips’ !
for the fish
- 260gr. cod fish filet (2 pieces)
- 8 threads of Krokos Kozanis saffron
- 2tbsp. olive oil
- 2tbsp. Greek tsipouro or ouzo
- pinch of oregano
- some lemon drops
- salt & black pepper
for the chips
- 2 beetroots
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 200ml. sunflower oil for frying
- salt & oregano
- Start preparing the fish, it needs to get marinated for 15′. Lay a piece of cling film in your table. Place the fish filet in the center. Add the Greek saffron, salt, pepper, olive oil, tsipouro, oregano and lemon and make sure the marinade covers well all sides of fish. Wrap the film well so the liquids don’t leak and put in the fridge for 15′ (or more). Do the same for the other filet.
- While fish is marinated, peel and wash the potatoes and the beetroots. Cut them in round slices (2cm thick) and place each slice in kitchen paper so that it absorbs the water coming out from the vegetables. Make sure that they are dry enough before you start frying.
- Before you go further with the chips preheat your oven at 230 degrees C.
- In a deep pan warm the sunflower oil in strong fire. When ready start with the sweet potatoes. Don’t fry too many of them at the same time because they will low the temperature of the hot oil and they will not be crispy enough. Move the fried potatoes in kitchen paper to absorb the extra oil.
- When the the oven is ready take the fish out of the fridge, through away the film and place it in a baking pan after you’ve laid a piece of baking paper first. Put in the oven and bake for 12′-15′ depending on your over. The fish should be soft and juicy.
- While the fish is baking continue with frying the beetroots, the same way you did with the sweet potatoes.
- You’ll have the fish and rest of the beetroots ready approximately the same time!
- Serve with some extra salt for the chip, some lemon drops for the fish, a small glass of tsipouro and..
- You can use of course the regular potatoes instead of the sweet ones.
- If you’re not a big fan of saffron you can just skip it, it will not ruin the balance of the rest of the flavors.
- You can serve together with this dish a nice, fresh green salad with lemon and olive oil dressing!
2 Comments Add yours
My favorite so far of all the recipes. It looks gorgeous!
Thank you Sabrina! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person