End of August (and summer), Macedonia Airport of Thessaloniki, 35 min from take off. Those last 35min from take off you are usually standing in front of the gate boarding. In my case I was still waiting for check in due to airport’s technical issue. Although problem still not solved, personnel informs us that the plane will take off in the scheduled time with or without all passengers. Thinking that both airport and airline lost all sense of customer centric policies, I decide to run to my sister who was waiting to say goodbye.In order to make it fast to the gate i need to leave behind a 800 pages heavy book. In this panic i leave behind also my mum’s almond cookies… The 2 outcomes? 1. Don’t panic – doesn’t help 2. learn how to bake your own cookies!
- 200gr. butter
- 120gr. sugar
- 1 egg
- 50gr. almonds roasted in big chunks
- vanilla extract
- 400gr. all purpose flour
- 1tsp. baking powder
- Beat the butter and sugar for 1′-2′ and add then the egg
- Continue adding the almonds, flour, baking powder, vanilla and mix well with your hand. Some more flour might be needed depending on its type. Overall we want to end up with a soft non sticky dough.
- Form the dough in 2 long logs and wrap them separately in baking paper. Place then in the fridge for 15′ to be more solid and meanwhile preheat your oven at 180 C.
- Cut the log with a knife in slices 1cm thick and lay those slices (the cookies) in a pan covered with baking paper.
- Bake for 15′-20′ till they get a nice color and..
- You can add as well some raisins or other nuts instead of or next to almonds!
- You can als1o try making only one big log from this dough which will give you bigger (yet fewer in number) cookies