My dad has a tree of ‘vanilla’ plums as we call them in Greece. They have this great red color and they are really sweet! Even from one tree you can get enough fruits to eat and to make some delicious homemade jam! It’s so easy to make or at least my mom makes it look easy, as she usually makes the jam, talk on the phone and cook lunch at the same time!
(for 1,5kg jam)
- 2kgr. red alsatian plums
- 500gr. sugar
- 3 apple geranium leaves
- Boil the plums (exactly like they are without cutting them) for 15′.
- Peel the plums and smash them in a big pot so that you get a purée.
- Add the sugar and the apple geranium leaves and boil in medium fire until the jam gets thicker. You will need an hour for that.
- In the beginning of the boiling phase you might need to remove any froth created on top of the mixture.
- Preheat some glass vases and their cups in your oven in 150 degrees C for about 15′ (the vases must be open in the oven). Put the ready jam in them and close firmly..
- Enjoy with fresh crispy bread or use it as topping in a cheese cake or for the ‘les petites carreaux’ jam cake recipe!