the first time I made focaccia I made a bet.. “I’m telling you, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever tasted in this country” he said. “I bet you can’t make it as good!” Challenge accepted..I won the bet! We ate a lot of focaccia since then, crispy on the outside and soft within.. you’ll love the way your house smells while you bake it and of course you’ll make it better than any Dutch super market!
for the dough
- 250gr. flour
- 4gr. dry yeast
- 150ml. lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- sugar & salt pinch
for the topping
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 red paprikas
- 100gr. Kalamata olives
- 2 tsp. oregano
- black pepper
Prepare the dough
- In a big bowl mix the yeast and the water until the yeast melts completely
- Add a pinch of sugar and stir a little bit
- Start adding the flour little by little and mix with your hand or a dough mixer.
- After adding half of the flour, add the salt and the olive oil.
- Continue adding the rest of the flour little by little while kneading the dough. You should have a soft dough that doesn’t stick to your hands. That means that you could you need a little more or less flour, trust your senses!
- When the dough is ready, cover the bowl with a clean towel and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Afterwards, either split the dough in 3-4 balls and open them in atomic small focaccia or even make a big square one. Either way they should be 5-6cm thick. Let the dough rest another 15′.
Add the topping
- Before starting preparing the topping preheat your oven in 220 degrees C and put already inside it a big pan or griddle.
- Cut the peppers and olives in small cubes and place them in a small bowl. Melt inside also the garlic and add in the end the olive oil.
- Using your hands add here and there in the focaccia dough some of the topping mixture pushing them softly in the dough.
- Use a teaspoon to spread the olive oil of the topping mixture on the dough.
- Add oregano, salt and pepper and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 10′-12′ and..
Tip! > You can keep the dough in the fridge for 2-3 days or even in the freezer for up to a month and make lovely focaccia whenever you feel like it!