spanakorizo is one of these recipes that you’d rather avoid as a kid but you’ll certainly adore as a grown up! so easy to make, there must be thousands of different versions that each Greek family uses…mine is the ‘golden’ one, with Krokos Kozanis the famous Greek saffron. See how you’ll transform a humble recipe to its royal version!
- 500gr. spinach
- 30gr. rice
- 30ml. olive oil
- 1 big onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 threads of Krokos Kozanis saffron
- 2 tbsp. parsley
- 50ml. water
- some lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Peel and cut in small thin slices the onion and garlic cloves.
- Put in a pot the olive oil and warm it up in medium-strong fire. Add in the pot the fine cut onion and garlic.
- In the meanwhile wash well the spinach and leave it standing for 2′-3′ in a strainer in order to lose the extra water. Add it afterwards in the pot with the onions and garlic.
- Mix well and turn the fire in the low level. Add the rice, parsley, water, saffron, salt and pepper and mix again. You should have enough water to boil the rice and have a nice saucy result in the end.
- Cover the pot and leave it there for 20′-25′. Taste when the time is up, if the rice is soft it’s ready!
- Serve with fresh lemon juice and…
> For a more balanced flavor enjoy it with a piece of Feta cheese and some crispy bread.. amazing!
> I’ve discovered recently that you can find Krokos Kozanis also in Amazon!