‘koulouri’ Thessalonikis is the trademark of the northern Greek city where I’ve lived 10 years of my life. Of course they enjoy it in whole Greece because it is just lovely! Everybody eats it, little kids at school, young people as a quick snack or breakfast, ‘serious’ business people at work.. Koulouri is so widely known that in fact ‘widely known’ is not even right..it’s more than that, it’s like the air you breath, the water you drink, the ‘Koulouri’ you eat!
- 500gr. flour
- 8gr. dry yeast
- 300ml. lukewarm water
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp.sugar
- 1tsp. salt
- 200gr. sesame
- some water to help the sesame stick to the dough
Prepare the dough
- In a big bowl mix the yeast and the water until the yeast melts completely.
- Add a pinch of sugar and stir a little bit.
- Start adding the flour little by little and knead with your hand or a dough mixer.
- After adding half of the flour, add the salt and the olive oil.
- Continue adding the rest of the flour little by little while kneading the dough. You should have a soft dough that doesn’t stick to your hands. That means that you could need a little more or less flour, trust your senses!
- When the dough is ready, cover the bowl with a clean towel and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Since the dough is ready (after resting for 1 hour) preheat your oven at 200 degrees C and cover with baking paper a big baking pan.
- Put in a bowl some water and in another one the sesame.
- Separate the dough in 9-10 balls of the same size. Roll each piece so that you make it longer and thiner and then unite the two edges to make a circle – ‘koulouri’. The diameter should be approximately 13-15cm.
- Put the rounded dough into the bowl of water and then in the sesame bowl in order to fully cover it with sesame.
- Place it in the baking pan and do the same with the rest of the dough balls. You should leave some space between the ‘koulouria’ so that they do not touch each other.
- Bake for 20′-25′ depending on your oven, the sesame should get a nice golden brown color. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 2′-3′ and…
‘Koulouri’ is an amazing breakfast, really nutritious thanks to the sesame! You can combine it with some milk, cheese you like or just like that with a cup of your favorite coffee!