So we talked about ‘Kalitsounia’ right? Delicious Cretan mizithra small pies. The thing is that one portion of the recipe will give you around 60 pieces. A lot.. Which is great if you are doing them with your friends/mom/kids but what if you’re living on your own, in a small house (so not so much space to spread ‘kalitsounia’ around), having a project to finish for work so that you have Easter vacation (so not so much time to make all the small ‘kalitsounia’) ? Make 1/3 of the portion? Could be, but I don’t know how to split one egg, I’m sure there should be a way for that.. Until then use some of the ingredients to make one big ‘Kalitsouni’ in a tart version!
You can get the recipe here. This is one portion. You will use 1/2 of the dough and 1/2 of the mizithra cheese mix.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees C.
- Open the dough in a thick phyllo 1-2cm and place it in a 24″ round pan. Cover the bottom of the pan and make sure that there are 3cm of phyllo to cover the edge of the tart so that you make a crust.
- Add the cheese filling and spread it in the dough and then wrap the edges of the phyllo towards the inside and this way you will create the round crust.
- Cover the surface of the tart (the dough and cheese) with the mixture of a beaten egg and olive oil.
- Bake for 30′ until your tart gets a nice brown color and..
- There is one more thing you can do with the dough of ‘kalitsounia’… surprise..!
- You can find the original Cretan recipe here .