well, did I grew up with salmon? no. I was eating it from time to time but I was always told to eat ‘locally’ and ‘seasonally’, meaning enjoy the place and time of the year you’re into. so of course you can find good salmon in Greece if you want but you can certainly find the most fresh, pinky, smooth salmon in Netherlands where I currently live…
- 400gr. salmon filet (2 pieces)
- 160gr. lentils
- 160gr. rice
- 2 red sweet paprikas
- 20gr. olive oil
- 1tsp. fresh rosemary cut into small pieces
- 1 big fresh onion (the green part)
- 1 lime
- salt & pepper
- 2lt. water
Start preparing the lentils and rice first as the salmon will need less time cooking.
- Put in a pot the water and warm it up till it boils. Add the lentils and some salt and boil in medium heat with the pot covered for 20′.
- At this point start preheating your oven at 180 degrees C.
- Place baking paper in a deep pan in a way to separate the pan in two parts. The idea is to bake the salmon and the red paprikas together in the same pan but without letting the paprikas absorb any of the salmon fat. If your oven can handle two pans at the same time you can go this way.
- Place the salmon and the paprikas in the pan, add salt to both and lime juice and rosemary (1/2 tsp.) to the salmon. Bake for 20′-25′ depending on your oven. The salmon must be juicy and not dry.
- Keep an eye on the lentils and when the 20′ pass add in the same pot the rice and keep boiling for another 15′-20′. After this time also passes taste some to make sure it’s done. The lentils should be boiled but still keep their shape. You can always just boil the lentils and rice separately for better control. When ready, drain well and place the mixture into a big bowl.
- At this point the salmon and paprikas should be also ready. Remove from the oven and after some minutes peel the skin of the paprikas and chop them into medium pieces.
- Mix the paprika pieces with the rice and lentils in the same bowl. Add the olive oil, rest of rosemary (1/2 tsp.), the fresh onion in small pieces, lime juice, salt and some pepper. Mix well, taste and correct where needed.
- Put a thick layer of the lentils-rice mixture in a plate and place on the top the salmon. Add some extra lime juice and…
- Instead of lime you can use lemon for a more traditional result!
- You can replace the lentils with black-eyed peas!