What should I get? Standing in front of the fish stand in Saturday’s open market scanning the fish. Here in NL you can easily find big fish like salmon, tuna, cod fish and other fish I used to find in Greece but all the later are usually in a enormously big size as they breed in fish farms. When I find here small fish in ‘Greek’ size (smaller one) they usually have the tag ‘wilde’, which means ‘wild’, free in other words! This time I was late in the market so no wild fish available anymore. I went for the dorado, all time classic safe choice. As I was thinking all this I asked the fisherman for a nice, big dorado fish. “Should I clean it?” he asked. “No! Only the flakes.” He gave me a strange look wondering and I came back to him “It’s just that here when you clean the fish you take out the head and a big part of the belly.”. He laughed hard, asked me where I was coming from and when I told him he remembered some nice vacation time he had in Kos and the tasteful fish we found there!
For the fish
- 2 dorados
- 2tbsp. olive oil
- 1tsp. oregano
- juice from one lemon
- baking paper to wrap the fish
For the greens
- 300gr. spinach
- 300gr. other wild seasonal greens
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
For the oil-lemon dressing
- 6tbsp. olive oil
- 6tbsp. lemon juice
- 1tbsp. oregano
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees C.
- Wrap each fish in a baking paper after adding all ingredients. Make sure that you keep the paper firmly closed so that all fish juice won’t come out.
- Bake for 15′.
- Meanwhile, put the greens in boiling water for 4′. You should add them in the pot separately as each type needs different baking time (spinach is more sensitive and might need less time for instance).
- After boiling them, put them instantly in a bowl with very cold water and drain right away. Use your hands to squeeze all waters out of them.
- When the fish is ready you open the baking paper carefully, take the fish out and serve with the greens adding on top some of the fish juices.
- Mix in a shaker the oil-lemon dressing ingredients and use some of the dressing on top of the fish and greens!
- You can use any type of greens but if cannot find any wild ones you can simply do the recipe only with spinach!
2 Comments Add yours
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person