Here in Netherlands, small wild strawberries and all other kinds of berries are very common to find. Especially now that are in season, you can find them in the open markets in a very good price too. After a recent trip in Paris, I got back with lots of recipes magazines for food and desserts to have a fresh eye on food, get inspired. French desserts are basically fruit related so there was a lot of food for thought in there! In the end I decide to do my own thing (as I do most of the times!), changing an existing recipe of my mom’s and creating this juicy forest fruit cake. I have another version in my head, it should be in the blog pretty soon!
- 200gr. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250gr. butter
- 280gr. sifted flour
- 20gr. baking powder
- 250gr. small wild strawberries
- 200gr. blue berries
- 1 pear (170gr. when pealed)
- 1 vanilla stick
- 30gr. cognac
- for the pan: 5tbsp. sugar, 1tsp. vanilla sent, 2tbsp. cognac, some of the vanilla stick
- Preheat the oven in 170 degrees C. In a round pan 28cm place half of the butter (125gr.) together with the 5tbsp. of sugar, put the pan in the oven until the butter melts and take it right out.
- Add in the pan the vanilla sent and part of the vanilla stick as well as 2tbsp. of cognac and mix well.
- Add the fruit in the pan, keep the strawberries in wholes and cut the pear in thick slices. Mix well with the liquids and spread well so that there are no empty spots in the basis of the pan.
- Beat the rest of the butter and sugar till they get ‘white’ (4′-5′)
- Add the eggs one by one, the cognac, the vanilla stick seeds and in the end the flour which you have already mixed with the baking powder.
- Puur the mixture carefully on top of the fruits in the pan. Make sure it is spread equally in every place and bake for 40′-45′.
- When read leave in the oven for 2′-3′ and then another 5′ outside the oven. After that place a big plate on top of the pan (it has to be slightly bigger than the pan and thus the cake) and reverse the pan so that cake ‘sits’ in the plate with the fruit side on top and..
- You need to leave the cake rest for 5′ after taking it off the oven but don’t leave it more than that! If it gets too cold the fruit will stick in the pan.
- Alternatively you can make reversed apple pie: change the forest fruit to apples and vanilla to cinnamon and cloves!
- Also you can replace 2 of the eggs with 200gr. milk!