Eggplant salad for me is tied to family weekends in Krokos, in my home village. Eggplant salad is great either with fish or meat or whatever you want! When my dad starts a barbecue, eggplants will be the first ones to be grilled. First of all, because they need the high temperature that the woods have when you start a fire and secondly because they need a little bit of extra time afterwards to stay in a bag so that the skin goes out easier. Well, right now I’m not able to have a barbecue but I do have an oven..!
- 3 eggplants
- 60ml. olive oil
- 1tbsp. vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3tbsp. freshly minced parsley
- Preheat your over at 190 degrees C and put a baking paper in a pan.
- Wash the eggplants and when the one is ready place them in the pan the way they are, don’t cut any part of them. Bake them for 40′-45′.
- When ready, take them out of the oven and put them in a plastic kitchen bag for 5′ in order to help the skin go out easier. This step is not always necessary depending on your eggplants.
- When you take the skin of the eggplants smash them with your fork into a bowl. If there are still too many liquids drain them for 5′-7′. After that add into the bowl the rest of the ingredients (garlic should be also smashed or grated).
- Mix well and..
- If you want and are able to ‘barbecue’ them you’ll realize that the taste would be extremely upgraded! Let them grill until they are soft and the skin almost burns. Then the rest of the steps would same as above.
- Apart from enjoying this dish as a salad, you can eat it as a spread in your sandwich!