In New Year’s eve in Greece, we make a special cake (it could be sweet cake or savory pie) in which we ‘hide’ a lucky coin. The cake is split into pieces for all family members and attendants of the night and whoever gets the piece with the coin supposed to be ‘lucky’ for the New Year. There was one New Year’s eve, I was round 3, we were celebrating with friends. There were 4 kids: my sister, Katerina, Ioanna and me. 4 kids 1 lucky coin, that was a tough one. What happened was that every piece of every child had a separate coin in it, magic (or parents, can be the same sometimes). We have photos all 4 of us standing in the line holding the ‘coin’, smiling! I know, childish, but it could also show a simple thing: you can put in your cake/pie/life as many coins-luck-smiles as you want. Even in times when there is no ‘coin’ you still have the ‘pie’..
- 200gr. butter
- 200gr. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 340gr. all purpose flour
- 50gr. walnuts
- 50gr. almonds
- 60ml. fresh orange juice
- 3tbs. amaretto or cognac
- 5gr. baking powder
- 2tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2tsp. cloves
- skin of one orange and one lemon
- a bit of sugar powder for serving
- a coin covered in aluminum foil
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees C and oil a 24cm. round pan.
- Put the walnuts and almonds in the blender and make them powder.
- In a big bowl beat the butter and sugar for 5′ until they get ‘white’ and then add the eggs one by one.
- Add the liquor/cognac, cinnamon, cloves, brand and lemon skin.
- Add the flour little by little as well as the baking powder and continue beating.
- Put the walnut/almond powder and mix well.
- In the end add the orange juice and mix a bit more so all ingredients come together.
- Put the mixture in the pan and bake for 45′-50′ until it gets a nice brown color. When time is up, switch off the oven and leave the cake there for another 2′-3′.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool down a bit for 10′.
- Sprinkle powder sugar on top and…
Enjoy and good luck!
- You can have the cake even with ought the extra powder sugar, it’s still delicious!