My hometown in Greece, Kozani, gets really cold during the winter time.. The best way to get warm in a cold night is to have some Trahana soup. Trahana can be categorized under cereal or pasta, as it can be made either with cracked wheat, semolina or flour boiled in milk or sour milk/yogurt. Trahana is widely known in Greece and eastern Mediterranean. It’s healthy and has an amazing taste. It can be eaten either in a soup or be the basic ingredient in a pie, accompany beautiful red meat or make an extraordinary ‘risotto’ with Trahana instead of rice!
- 100gr. sour trahana (flour based)
- 800ml. water
- 60gr. Feta cheese
- 8tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2tsp. salt
- optionally, black or chill pepper to serve
- Put in a pot the water, salt and half of the olive oil. Warm it up in medium fire.
- When the water starts boiling add the trapan and stir.
- Boil for 8′-9′ depending on how big the pieces of your trahana are.
- A little bit before the boiling time is over, add the feta cheese broken into small pieces.
- Remove form the stove, serve in deep plates and add the rest of the olive oil and the pepper you like!
- Serve hot and..