In Greece there is this dessert category, the so called ‘Spoon sweets’ or else fruit chutneys. Every Greek mom (or dad, but usually mom) makes a few during summer time together with jams. And what is regularly happening is that your mom wants you to have one or two or more jars, until you say ‘No! I can’t take more!’ and you seriously mean it. Truth is this dessert is delicious and a bit more ‘innocent’ than others because it has no fat. Another great use of the ‘spoon sweets’ is to make a cake with it!
- 250gr. quince chutney
- 4 eggs
- 200gr. sugar
- 200ml. sunflower oil
- 100ml. orange juice
- 420gr. sifted flour
- 3tsp. baking powder
- 3tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your over to 180 degrees C and oil either a round baking pan or a 30x20cm one.
- Beat in a big bowl the oil and sugar and add the eggs one by one.
- Continue beating and add the quince chutney.
- Add the flour, baking powder and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Put the mixture in the pan and bake for 55′-60′ until it gets a nice brown color. After the first 40′ you might need to cover the cake with a piece of aluminum foil in order to dry the surface while baking. Just open your oven and place the aluminum foil, don’t take the cake our of the oven.
- When ready let it rest for 10′, take it out of the round pan (or keep it in the normal one) and…
- Choose whatever fruit chutney you want!
- You can add also 100gr. of chocolate drops if you are a big fan of chocolate!
- Same as mst of the cakes, you can cut the cake in slices and keep in the freezer in food bags. You can enjoy this way fresh delicious cake every day at work or give it to the kids for breakfast at school!